Legendary broadcaster Dick Enberg joined me for a lengthy chat about the inimitable Al McGuire and we've captured that conversation in our first-ever podcast here on Cracked Sidewalks.
Later this week Enberg will once again bring his one-man show about Coach McGuire back to Marquette University for a pair of performances at the Helfaer Theater. As you'd expect, during our conversation Enberg revealed a host of riveting memories and anecdotes about Coach McGuire, including:
- The genesis of the one man show on "the most incredible (character) I've ever met";
- Enberg's breakthrough pre-game interview with McGuire just before the 1977 title game;
- Details on McGuire's rather interesting (and surprisingly stunted) entry into broadcasting with NBC back in 1978;
- Enberg's thoughts on the perils of replacing a legendary coach;
- A preview of Dick's upcoming commencement address to Marquette's Class of 2009.
Enberg's critically-acclaimed one-man show, "The Wit and Wisdom of Al McGuire" returns to Marquette's Helfaer Theater for performances on Friday and Saturday evenings. For more information and tickets visit the MU site or call (414) 288-7504. Let's pack the place for Al --- all ticket proceeds benefit Marquette’s Department of Performing Arts Drama Fund Scholarship.
The show will also run on Wednesday and Thursday night in Chicago at the Greenhouse Theater.