Welcome back to March Madness. For the eighth consecutive season MU rah-rah is back in the thick of things, and for the second consective season the team earned mad respect from the Selection Committee by earning a 3 Seed. The Big East Champions play the 14th-seeded Davidson Wildcats (26-7, Southern Conference Champions) on Thursday afternoon at approximately 2:10pm CT. The game will appear on truTV.
More later in the week but this is a tough draw. As the guys at Paint Touches pointed out the Wildcats returned all five starters from last year’s NCAA tournament team – a bunch that gave Louisville a scare before falling 69-62 in the first round.
This is the second consecutive season that the Warriors earned a three seed. Does anybody remember what happened the last time MU was a three-seed, won its conference and lost in the first round of the conference tourney? Karma. Believe.
Here are a few links to get you through the day:
- Mike Hunt at the J-S.
- Pete Thamel from CNNSI thinks Davidson is a good bet to beat the Warriors.
- An MUScoop contributor who lives in the Carolinas and follows Davidson filed this report.
- The News & Observer points out that the two programs have not faced each other since the 1960s.
- The Charlotte Observer points out that the Wildcats want to keep their rhythm going … they have not lost since January.
- The Sports Exchange offers this quick preview of the Thursday tilt.
- Davidson is terrible at forcing turnovers. MU has to take advantage of this and protect the ball given the trend lines we noted the other day.
- Davidson shoots the lights out. They sink 36.9% of their 3-pointers (nearly 8/game) while MU is just 83rd in the nation (9th in the Big East) at defending the trey, 31.8%. Pat Connaughton, ugh.