The news flow surrounding the Marquette hoops program has slowed a bit in the early stages of the off-season but in the last few days several developments emerged:
- Dale Layer, Buzz Williams' top assistant coach, was announced as the new head coach at Liberty University. Layer was formerly the head coach at Colorado State and an assistant at Liberty before landing at MU. The Buzz Williams coaching tree sprouts, apparently. Talk about it at MUScoop.
- Todd Rosiak recently completed three fantastic updates on the incoming class of 2009 (with more to come). First he updated readers on Junior Cadougan. This week he took an in-depth look at Jeronne Maymon. Then, Rosiak delivered with a look at Dwight Buycks. Seriously, if you don't get a little fired up about the incoming recruits, you probably don't have a pulse.
- Looking ahead to the 2009 NBA draft, soon-to-be Marquette graduate Wesley Matthews has been invited to participate in the Portsmouth Invitational.
- Peter Vescey of the New York Post completed a two-part series on the legendary Al McGuire. As you'd expect, these articles are a blast to read. Here's part one. Here's part two.
- Back to the commitment of Darius Johnson-Odom -- check out these videos.