With the season less than two weeks away Buzz Williams received good news recently when the NCAA ruled that freshman center Youssoupha Mbao would only have to sit out two games due to a violation of his amateur status before enrolling at Marquette. Mbao will miss games against Centenary and Maryland Eastern Shore before hitting the court against Grambling State on November 21.
Other updates on the program:
- Talented 6'8" power forward Tarik Black might be "leaning to Marquette". Black is also considering Tennessee, Memphis, and Florida.
- MU is after a pair of talented bigs -- cousins, in fact. 6'6" forward Josh Langford de-committed from Rick Pitino and Louisville and is now considering MU among other suitors. Interestingly Langford's 6'7 cousin Devin Langford (class of 2011) is also interested in MU.
- Lazar Hayward is an impact player -- a solid write-up by Rush The Court.
- Sports N'at ranks MU as the BIG EAST's 9th best team in this preview which, despite a few oversights on personnel, sums up what many in the league might be thinking about MU this year and next.
- Don't forget to check out KBuck's Haunted Hoops video along with some related commentary here. Rosiak reported on the scrimmage -- his analysis of Darius Johnson-Odom is most encouraging.
- The Buzz Williams radio show begins next week.
- Here's a bookmark -- Wesley Matthews' player page from NBA.com.
- Dominic James is averaging better than 16 ppg (11th in the league) in the early stages of his professional career with Mersin in the Turkish Basketball League. Mersin is winless in three games so far this season.