This morning I expected to share a variety of clips from yesterday's Big East Media Day when something else jumped to the top of the heap, something much more important and a great source of pride for any MU alum or fan.
Graduation is a proud badge of honor for Tom Crean and the Golden Eagles. The team media guide devotes several pages to the learning environment available for players at Marquette, and boasts graduating 50 of 52 players over the past 16 years.That's 96% folks.
Bob Brainerd of OnMilwaukee.com evaluates MU's success in the classroom in an article that appears online today. The article is chock-full of player testimonials and examples of how MU's support infrastructure and the culture of the program pushes kids to succeed academically. The players in the MU program work hard, no doubt......and based on their own words today, they recognize and value the opportunity they've been presented.
ADDITIONAL MEDIA UPDATES
- Gary Parrish, Sportsline's refreshing new college basketball lead writer, previews the Big East and slots MU into 3rd place. That's rather generous but its October and I'm and optimist. He also lists James as a first-team all-conference pick.
- Todd Rosiak reports from media day -- and thankfully quotes Crean as having no interest in the AD job.
- The Associated Press filed on the media day madness, though there's nothing about MU in the writeup. Fine with me -- let the burdon of high expectations fall elsewhere. Speaking of which, Calhoun is heaping high expectations on his new big man.
- The Washington Post focuses on the Hoyas this morning, but notes that Dominic James is the best guard in the Big East.
- The Newark Star-Ledger lists James as one of seven 'players to watch' in the upcoming season.
- Here's an interesting article about MU's upcoming scrimmage with K-State. Smart move by TC -- he phoned Huggins and asked for a pre-season scrimmage. MU will fly to KSU this weekend for the scrimmage, which is closed to the public. How smart is this!
- IWB wrote up a solid profile of MU recruit Scott Christopherson over at MarquetteHoops (premium subscribers)
- And don't forget to check out MUScoop