Marquette claimed its first BIG EAST win of the season tonight with a 62-59 triumph over the 12th ranked Georgetown Hoyas. Shedding the weight of consecutive soul crushing defeats, the gritty Warriors closed out the Hoyas late by nailing clutch free throws and stringing together a series of defensive stops in the game's waning moments to secure the victory. The Hoyas scored just two points in the final two minutes of the game.
David Cubillan, the greatest player in Marquette history tonight, led the Warriors with 18 points on six three-pointers. Marquette was outscored 32-6 in the paint but countered with a dazzling night of long-range shooting, nailing a dozen three-pointers (12-26, 46%). In fact the Warriors made more three-pointers, 12, than two-pointers tonight, 9.
Lazar Hayward finished with another double-double, 12 points and 11 boards. Dwight Buycks finished with 10 while Jimmy Butler chipped in with 9 points.
With the victory Marquette improves to 10-5 on the season and 1-2 in BIG EAST play.
- ESPN Box Score.
- Rosiak with a particularly strong recap of the win.
- Rosiak blogs on the win.
- The Casual Hoya jumps in on the action.
- The Washington Post talks up Marquette's first BIG EAST victory of the season.
- The stellar GoMarquette recap is full of good stuff including podcasts from Buzz, Cubillan, JT3 and Austin Freeman.
- The Chicago Tribune jumps in with a recap as well -- good morning Jerry Wainwright.