I am going to steal a bit of thunder here from one of my co-bloggers, muwarrior92. With Donovan staying put in Gainesville, how about this scenario:
Izzo to UK
Crean to MSU
This would make sense for Kentucky. Izzo is the only coach in the country that they can get with a better track record than Tubby's. Izzo has led MSU to 10 straight NCAA bids, the second-longest streak in Big Ten history, been to multiple Final Fours and won a national title. Along the way, he's create an absolute monster called "Unreasonable Expectations", something he's lamented in the past. MSU has been spoiled by success during his tenure -- maybe he'll look to move on despite the heaps of praise he earned for the job he did last season.
The second longest streak of NCAA tourney appearances in Big Ten history. And some fans are not happy. Shock.
In some ways, MU is MSU-lite. With Crean, MU has made the tourney in four of the last six seasons, reached the Final Four and put three players in the NBA. But we know that. Here are a few other facts about TC's tenure that are worth noting:
- MU has made over 80 appearances on television since 2001;
- MU spent 64 weeks ranked nationally since 2001 (in the 15 years prior to TC, MU was ranked for a total of 24 weeks);
- Pitt, G’Town and Marquette are the only teams to post double-digit conference victories first two years of expanded Big East play;
- 20 Big East wins are the most of the C-USA orphans;
- MU has enjoyed a 54% increase in attendance.
Rick Bozich of the Louisville Courier-Journal thinks the job will come down to Izzo and TC.
This could become very interesting. I hope they don't become too interseting.