Marquette raced out to an 83-55 win over Division II Northern State tonight at the Bradley Center.
The Golden Eagles shook off a rotten start to blow out NSU with a dominant second half performance. The Golden Eagles were led by Lazar Hayward's impressive 17 point effort. Wesley Matthews thew in 16 points, while Dominic James added a dozen.
Our man on the scene tonight said, "Watch out for Lazar!".....looks like the pride of Buffalo, NY is much-improved from last season. That's good to hear.
Next up for Marquette is the season opener against IUPUI on November 10 at the Bradley Center.
Positives from tonight's game:
- Wesley Matthews and Lazar Hayward.
- Maurice Acker looked terrific with 9 points and four assists in 20 minutes of play.
- MU forced 31 turnovers.
- Depth. MU will throw plenty of bodies on the floor this year........this is a deep, athletic team.
- Chris Otule verballed to Marquette earlier today.
- McNeal with four turnovers. Lovely.
- Barro only played 16 minutes. Odd.
- Marquette was out rebounded by 38-35.
- MU shot 19% from three-point range. Against a Division II team. At home. Disappointing.
- Fitzgerald only attempted two three-point shots. Ugh.
- Cubillan, 1-6 from the floor.
Here's the box score in .pdf
MUScoop discussion including post-game notes
Brief Sportsline recap
MUScoop in-game photos for your viewing pleasure