Buzz Williams' Marquette Warriors hit the court in their season opener against Houston Baptist Huskies on Friday night at the Bradley Center. Tipoff is set for 7:30pm CT.
Rosiak previews the game well in his latest blog, which can be found here. He also has a non-blog entry saying that Williams is set for a new day. However, there appears to be a "day-counter" discrepancy between Rosiak (220 days) and the MUScoop Counter (221 days). Someone has to get to the bottom of this, but if you read the article, we agree with Corey.
The official Marquette preview can be found here (with a link to the full game notes in .pdf). Sportsline offers this preview.
Key points about the Huskies:
- Houston Baptist suits up 10 seniors.
- Houston Baptist has six D-1 transfers including fellas who played for Purdue, UT-Arlington and Auburn.
- Houston Baptist like to run - they topped East Texas Baptist University in an exhibition matchup, 104-88.
- Houston Baptist plays an aggressive schedule. Also on the docket for the Huskies -- Villanova, SMU, UWGB, Iowa State, Ohio State, Illinois State and Iowa State.
- Their coach, Ron Cottrell, starts the season with a 361-168 record and has averaged more than 22 wins per season at HBU.
- David Cubillan and Wesley Matthews are expected to play.
- When the Three Amigos start against HBU, they will collectively have started a remarkable 299 games in their careers.
- Dominic James needs to average about 11 points per game this season to become the all-time leading scorer in Marquette history.
- Missed the press conference? Check out the podcast from the press conference. In addition, Buzz had another radio interview on 1250 yesterday. Here is direct link for the mp3. He spends almost all the time talking about the recruits. It was another good interview.
- New signee Brett Roseboro had a few articles about him in his local coverage. One from the Philly Burbs and another one from The morning call.com.
- Finally, in the most recent bracketology, Lunardi picks MU as a 5-seed. Okay.
- MUTV interviews walk-on Robert Frozena. May God bless the walk-on.
- Andy Katz catches up with assistant coach Tony Benford.