Marquette, who swept its foe from the Windy City last season and has won 26 of the last 31 games in this rivalry, will look to break the hearts of the Blue Demons once again -- this time on Valentine's Day. In its home away from home, Tom Crean can expect a rowdy group of MU fans to cheer on the Golden Eagles. Dozens of DPU students are expected to attend as well.
Marquette (21-5, 8-3) enters the game with loads of question marks from where you'd least expect it. Dominic James is fighting through the worst slump of his career. To make matters worse, running mate Wesley Matthews is battling the flu and his status for the game is uncertain. Matthews did not practice on Monday.
Despite winning eight consecutive Big East games before the humbling defeat at Georgetown over the weekend, MU's core strength this season -- its backcourt -- is a major question mark heading into tonight's conference road game. Time for Chicago's own Jerel McNeal to step up!
Tom Crean will also look to the vastly improved Ousmane Barro to tip the scales in MU's favor. The 6'10" junior already has six double-doubles this season -- including MU's last two outings.
DePaul (14-11, 5-6) has has plenty of time to prepare for MU. Paul Gleason's crew last played on February 8 when they stole a victory from Notre Dame at the great airplane hangar in Rosemont.
DePaul is led by Sammy Mejia and Wilson Chandler. Mejia, who celebrated his 24th birthday last week. um. ah. well. hmmm ........sorry, I lost my train of thought. ....his 24th birthday.
Back to the game preview. As a versatile forward, Chandler figures to be MU's toughest matchup.....anybody remember how Alando Tucker, Jeff Green and Demetris Nichols did against the Golden Eagles?
All together now: "They torched Marquette!!"
Well -- enter Mr. Chandler ....... as with the bunch mentioned above, MU does not match up well with him at all, particularly if Matthews is not 100%.
Tough game coming up folks, tough game.
Media Updates Galore!!
- MUScoop info header on tonight's game.
- Eric Silver has a stellar preview at Marquette Hoops.
- Here's the AP preview of the game.
- WeAreDePaul offers this solid preview.
- Details on Todd Rosiak's informative blog.
- Todd Rosiak's preview -- focused on DJ's recent struggles from the field.
- The Daily Herald on the role post play production could play tonight.
- The Sun-Times on how revenge is on the minds of the Blue Demons.
- The Chicago Tribune focuses on the improved play of the Demons' Draelon Burns.
- The Sports And Pop Culture Bank offers its take on where MU stands after the GTown loss. Its a fun read (given the off-the-deep-end mentality) but wow --- talk about an over-reaction to one loss, fellas.